Ananth Kumar, Union Minister Muniyappa file nominations
Bangalore: BJP leader Ananth Kumar, Union Minister K H Muniyappa and JDS state President A Krishnappa filed their nominations, as the process for the April 17 Lok Sabha polls in Karnataka was set in motion today.
Kumar, a five-time MP, filed his nomination for Bangalore South constituency, where he is being challenged by former Infosys co-founder and face of "Aadhar" programme, Nandan Nilekani on Congress ticket.
Muniyappa is seeking re-election from Kolar (Reserved) constituency. Former minister Krishnappa, accompanied by former Prime Minister and JDS supremo H D Deve Gowda, submitted his nomination papers for the Tumkur Lok Sabha seat.
Speaking to reporters, Ananth Kumar said Nilekani would lose the election as the electorate in Bangalore South is very scrutinising. He said the BJP would win at least 20 of the 28 Lok Sabha seats from Karnataka, riding high on the Narendra Modi wave throughout the country.
Kumar also said the Congress had fielded relatively a political novice every elections for the last 25 years, but could not get past him. He defended his remarks that Bangalore South election is a battle between Modi and Rahul Gandhi by saying that voters in his constituency know it is national election to select a Central government and a Prime Minister.
The BJP has held this constituency since 1991 with Kumar winning since 1996. The last date for filing nominations is March 26.Scrutiny of papers will be taken up the next day. March 29 is the last date for withdrawal of nominations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends