Another arrest in law student rape case
Bangalore: Jnanabharathi police managed to arrest the seventh accused in the gang-rape of a law student in October last year. Police commissioner Raghavendra Auradkar said on Tuesday that Raja alias Mutturaj, 24, of Mettari Doddi in Ramanagara, was arrested at Kebbedoddi village in Anekal taluk in the outskirts of Bangalore.
Although six of the eight men arrested in connection with the horrific crime were found guilty and sentenced to life imprisonment on Friday last, Raja was absconding for close to 11 months. He was involved in three more cases of attempt to murder and dacoity. Jnanabharathi police registered two dacoity cases against him.
Maddura, 19, Dodda Eeraiah, 19, Shivanna, 20, Eeraiah, 20, Yaleyaiah, 23, and Ramu, 20, are the six who were arrested earlier.
The rape survivor had stated in a police complaint that the accused had attacked her at 9.15 pm on October 13, when she was returning to the college hostel, along with her male friend in a car. They were accosted by the eight accused, who surrounded the vehicle, broke the window glass and dragged the girl outside by her hair.
When her friend tried to rescue her, he too was beaten up. The girl was dragged to a open field and gang-raped, after which they fled the scene about 12.30 am. She then approached the police a few hours later and filed a complaint. She told the police that the rapists had brandished machetes and threatened to slit her throat if she screamed for help.
The police formed a special team comprising 32 officers, who managed to catch the criminals and get them convicted within a year. However, the eight accused in the case, Mallesha, 20, is still absconding.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi