Another Karnataka shutdown, this time over Cauvery
Bangalore: Karnataka, where life was crippled on September 20 as part of nation-wide shutdown over the central government`s economic measures, is in for another shutdown on October 06 over Cauvery water sharing with Tamil Nadu.
Several Kannada organisations have called for the shutdown to protest September 19 directive of Cauvery River Authority (CRA) to Karnataka for releasing 9,000 cusecs of water daily to Tamil Nadu till October 15.
The call, given on Friday by the Kannada organisations under the banner of `Kannada Okkuta` (federation), received the backing of the Kannada film industry on Saturday.
Addressing farmers and other people protesting against the CRA directive at Mandya, about 80 km from Bangalore, Karnataka Film Chamber of Commerce president KV Chandrashekhar pledged the film industry`s support for the October 06 shutdown.
Screening of films and all film-related activities would be shut on October 06, he said.
Mandya is one of the six Cauvery basin districts in Karnataka and the centre of agitations whenever the dispute over Cauvery water sharing with Tamil Nadu flares up.
Karnataka on Friday petitioned Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who as head of the CRA directed the release of 9,000 cusecs of water to Tamil Nadu, to rescind the decision.
Farmers and Kannada activists have been daily holding demonstrations in Mandya and neighbouring Mysore as well as in Bangalore for the last 10 days against Tamil Nadu demand for water when Karnataka was facing its worst drought in 40 years.
The agitators at Mandya have threatened to stop Cauvery water supply to Bangalore if Bangaloreans do not support the agitation.
Bangalore, with a population of over eight million, gets around 900 MLD (million litres daily) from Cauvery while the need is for 1,350 MLD. The shortage is met mostly from two water bodies around Bangalore and thousands of borewells in the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon