Another Karnataka shutdown, this time over Cauvery
Bangalore: Karnataka, where life was crippled on September 20 as part of nation-wide shutdown over the central government`s economic measures, is in for another shutdown on October 06 over Cauvery water sharing with Tamil Nadu.
Several Kannada organisations have called for the shutdown to protest September 19 directive of Cauvery River Authority (CRA) to Karnataka for releasing 9,000 cusecs of water daily to Tamil Nadu till October 15.
The call, given on Friday by the Kannada organisations under the banner of `Kannada Okkuta` (federation), received the backing of the Kannada film industry on Saturday.
Addressing farmers and other people protesting against the CRA directive at Mandya, about 80 km from Bangalore, Karnataka Film Chamber of Commerce president KV Chandrashekhar pledged the film industry`s support for the October 06 shutdown.
Screening of films and all film-related activities would be shut on October 06, he said.
Mandya is one of the six Cauvery basin districts in Karnataka and the centre of agitations whenever the dispute over Cauvery water sharing with Tamil Nadu flares up.
Karnataka on Friday petitioned Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who as head of the CRA directed the release of 9,000 cusecs of water to Tamil Nadu, to rescind the decision.
Farmers and Kannada activists have been daily holding demonstrations in Mandya and neighbouring Mysore as well as in Bangalore for the last 10 days against Tamil Nadu demand for water when Karnataka was facing its worst drought in 40 years.
The agitators at Mandya have threatened to stop Cauvery water supply to Bangalore if Bangaloreans do not support the agitation.
Bangalore, with a population of over eight million, gets around 900 MLD (million litres daily) from Cauvery while the need is for 1,350 MLD. The shortage is met mostly from two water bodies around Bangalore and thousands of borewells in the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report