Appointment of SPP necessary in activist murder ca
Bangalore: The Karnataka High Court on Friday observed that the recent brutal murder of RTI activist Lingaraju was a serious matter and appointment Special Public Prosecutor was necessary in the case.
Making this observation on a suo motu PIL on hacking to death of Lingaraju, a Division Bench headed by Chief Justice Vikramajit Sen further directed the government advocate to suggest some names for the post of SPP.
Senior advocate Hazmath Pasha, who was appointed Amicus Curiae by the court, filed a memo stating that it was on the basis of complaint filed by Lingaraju that the Lokayukta police conducted raids on the residence of corporator Gowramma and the police till date had not investigated her role in it.
The court then questioned the government on it and adjourned further hearing of the matter to December 5.
Based on press reports about the murder of RTI activist in the city on November 20, the Karnataka High Court treated the matter as a suo motu PIL the next day and appointed senior counsel Hazmath Pasha as Amicus Curiae to assist the court in the matter.
Lingaraju (40), an RTI activist and a whistle-blower was hacked to death at Vittal Nagar in Chamarajpet by three unidentified persons right in front of his house when he and his wife were fetching water from a public tap in Marakandeya Layout.
A former employee of Canara Bank, he had launched a
Kannada tabloid "Maha Prachanda" but closed it some years ago to become a full-time RTI activist. He also dabbled in real estate and was associated with the Congress Party.
Recently, Lingaraju had filed a private complaint in the Lokayukta Court against his political rival Govindraju, husband of Azadnagar corporator Gowramma. He had also lodged a complaint with the Upalokayukta against the couple.
On November 9, the Lokayukta police had raided Gowramma and Govindraju`s residence and recovered property worth over Rs 16 crore.
Lingaraju is also reported to have provided crucial documents, during preliminary investigation of the cases involving Gowramma and Govindraju, which subsequently led to the raids, police said.
According to Lingaraju`s wife, Gowramma had approached her through some people to get the complaint withdrawn.
The family subsequently filed a complaint with the Chamarajpet police, alleging that Gowramma and her associates were behind Lingaraju`s murder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried