Arasu included in Backward Classes 2A category
Bangalore: Karnataka government on Friday decided
to include the Arasu community under backward classes 2A
category giving its members "academic benefits" and
reservation in recruitment.
Briefing reporters after a Cabinet meeting, Law and
Parliamentary Affairs Minister S Suresh Kumar said the
community`s population was about 40,000.
They had actually been included under 2A in 1977 but
subsequently had been dropped from the list by "various
backward classes commissions".
In 2010, a committee headed by former Karnataka Backward
Classes Commission, C S Dwarakanath, had recommended in a
special report their inclusion in 2A category, Suresh Kumar
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon