Arasu included in Backward Classes 2A category
Bangalore: Karnataka government on Friday decided
to include the Arasu community under backward classes 2A
category giving its members "academic benefits" and
reservation in recruitment.
Briefing reporters after a Cabinet meeting, Law and
Parliamentary Affairs Minister S Suresh Kumar said the
community`s population was about 40,000.
They had actually been included under 2A in 1977 but
subsequently had been dropped from the list by "various
backward classes commissions".
In 2010, a committee headed by former Karnataka Backward
Classes Commission, C S Dwarakanath, had recommended in a
special report their inclusion in 2A category, Suresh Kumar
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM