Arasu included in Backward Classes 2A category
Bangalore: Karnataka government on Friday decided
to include the Arasu community under backward classes 2A
category giving its members "academic benefits" and
reservation in recruitment.
Briefing reporters after a Cabinet meeting, Law and
Parliamentary Affairs Minister S Suresh Kumar said the
community`s population was about 40,000.
They had actually been included under 2A in 1977 but
subsequently had been dropped from the list by "various
backward classes commissions".
In 2010, a committee headed by former Karnataka Backward
Classes Commission, C S Dwarakanath, had recommended in a
special report their inclusion in 2A category, Suresh Kumar
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Indian origin ex-husband of step-mom accused of killing girl arrested in US
- US, South Korea begin joint drills amid tension after defection
- Porn viewing a death knell for happy marriage
- Young massive star identified in the Milky Way
- WATCH: At Stor Palace inauguration, PM Narendra Modi hails India's historic ties with Afghanistan