Arasu included in Backward Classes 2A category
Bangalore: Karnataka government on Friday decided
to include the Arasu community under backward classes 2A
category giving its members "academic benefits" and
reservation in recruitment.
Briefing reporters after a Cabinet meeting, Law and
Parliamentary Affairs Minister S Suresh Kumar said the
community`s population was about 40,000.
They had actually been included under 2A in 1977 but
subsequently had been dropped from the list by "various
backward classes commissions".
In 2010, a committee headed by former Karnataka Backward
Classes Commission, C S Dwarakanath, had recommended in a
special report their inclusion in 2A category, Suresh Kumar
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred