Bangalore ATM attack: Victim recuperating; Rs 1 lakh award announced for info on suspect
Zee Media Bureau
Bangalore: The authorities in Karnataka on Thursday announced Rs one lakh cash reward for information leading to the arrest of the man, who brutally assaulted a woman bank official with a machete at an unguarded ATM kiosk here on Tuesday night.
"We have announced Rs one lakh cash award for information leading to the arrest of the suspect," Joint Commissioner of Police B K Singh told reporters, as the assailant is on the run two days after the brazen attack, caught on CCTV footage, sparking public outrage.
Asked about reports that the mobile which the assailant took away from the victim, a 44-year-old bank official, after leaving her in a pool of blood was traced to Hindupur in Andhra Pradesh, Singh said, "There is no truth in it."
An official of BGS Global Hospital, where the victim is recovering after being paralysed on her right side, meanwhile said, "She is recuperating, but will take some more time to fully recover."
The woman`s skull was fractured in the attack and a small piece of bone had gone into the brain, causing a "penetrating injury" and she was paralysed on her right side, according to doctors.
"We are closely monitoring her condition. She is able to speak," the hospital official said.
In the attack at the ATM kiosk near a police station in the heart of the city, the woman was repeatedly hit with the machete by the assailant, leaving her in a pool of blood for nearly three hours before two school children saw blood stains and informed a policeman who rushed her to the hospital.
The assailant had attacked her after entering the ATM booth closely following her and downing the rolling shutter when she refused to draw money and hand it over to him.
After the attack, caught on CCTV, he had walked out of the kiosk downing the shutter and taking away her mobile, leaving the bleeding woman in a serious condition.
With the incident sparking nationwide outrage and concern over safety at ATMs, Karnataka government yesterday cracked the whip, telling banks that they should provide security or shutdown ATMs.
Meanwhile, the police have detained one person from Andhra Pradesh after tracking the victim`s phone, which was stolen by the attacker. The arrested person is said to have bought the cellphone from the person, who attacked the 44-year-old bank employee.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt