Bangalore rape case: School chairman gets bail
Zee Media Bureau
Bangalore: Chairman of Vibgyor High International School Rustom Kerawalla, who was arrested in connection with the alleged rape of a six-year-old student by the school`s two staff members over three weeks ago, has been granted bail.
Police arrested Kerawalla at Daman and Diu off Goa on Tuesday night and brought him to Bangalore on Wednesday for his culpability in the heinous crime. He was later let off on conditional bail.
A case has been registered against the elite school in the city`s upscale eastern suburb for not informing the victim`s parents and the jurisdictional police about the incident, which occurred on July 02 in a classroom in its premises.
"We have booked the school chairman for destruction of evidence, denial of information to police and a criminal act on a minor under his custody," city police commissioner M.N. Reddi told reporters here on Wednesday.
The school, affiliated to the Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (ICSE) has eight branches across the city and also runs similar institutions at Hyderabad in Telangana, Kolhapur, Mumbai and Pune in Maharashtra, Lucknow in Uttar Pradesh and Vadodara in Gujarat.
One of the accused, Mustafa, 30, a skating instructor in the school, was arrested on July 20.
Mustafa has also been accused of being a paedophile, as pornographic videos of children being raped were found in his mobile and laptop.
"We have stepped up the investigation and efforts are on to nab the other accused as we are also probing other staff members," Reddi had added.
The school has remained shut since July 17 after hundreds of parents of wards reading in the school staged a protests against its management for attempting to cover-up the incident and protecting the accused.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa