Bangalore`s rape-tainted school reopens for all classes from today
Zee Media Bureau
Bangalore: The Vibgyor High School in the city`s upscale eastern suburb was on Wednesday reopened for all classes from Class 1 with new security measures to ensure the safety of students.
On July 28, the school was reopened for students of Classes 5 to 10, almost two weeks after it shut following outrage over the alleged rape of a six-year-old student by the school`s staffers in a classroom.
Two more men were arrested on Tuesday in the case, which had caused public outrage and massive protests across the state.
"We have arrested the two culprits - Lalgiri, 21, and Wasim Pasha, 28 - working as gymnastic coaches in Vibgyor High school, on the basis of vital information the first accused (Mustafa) gave during interrogation, as well as investigation by the special team set up for the case," Bangalore Police Commissioner MN Reddi told reporters.
Mustafa alias Munna, 30, was arrested on July 20 and sent to judicial custody till August 02. A mobile and a laptop containing videos of children being raped were seized from him.
Lalgiri and Pasha were arrested under Section 376D of the Indian Penal Code - which deals with taking advantage of a person through a position of authority - and under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act.
They were sent to 14-day judicial remand by a local magistrate.
"During preliminary investigation and interrogation, Pasha and Lalgiri admitted to have committed the heinous crime on July 03 in the school premises, which has turned out to be a case of gang-rape," Reddi said.
Meanwhile, a task force comprising parents, teachers and senior students has been set up to implement certain guidelines to ensure safety and security of about 3,500 students studying in the school.
The immediate guidelines include installing closed circuit television (CCTV) cameras in all classrooms, playrooms, restrooms, labs, library, teachers` room and at vantage points covering the entire school premises, including the playground.
The school will employ adequate women security guards after background checks and will make profiles of all those employed on contracts for non-curricular and non-academic activities.
The school has agreed to stop allowing outsiders to use its swimming pool before and after school hours.
It will also maintain records of all security guards and drivers employed to operate its fleet of transport vehicles used to pick and drop students from their homes.
A parents-teachers association will also be formed to oversee the implementation of the safety measures in the school.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'