Bangarappa cremated with full state honours
Sorab: The body of former
Karnataka chief minister S Bangarappa was on Tuesday consigned to
flames here in his home district with full state honours.
A pall of gloom descended as his supporters turned up in
large numbers to pay their last respects to Bangarappa, who
ruled the state from 1990-92 and was an MP in his four-decade-
long political career that took him on a journey through
Congress, BJP, Samajwadi Party and finally JDS besides two
parties floated by him.
The body of Bangarappa, a backward class leader who died
in Bangalore yesterday after a brief illness, was brought here
from Kubatur, his birthplace, before it was taken to a land
owned by him where it was cremated.
Bangarappa`s younger son Madhu Bangarappa performed the
Earlier, Chief Minister DV Sadananda Gowda, state BJP
president KS Eshwarappa, former chief minister BS
Yeddyurappa and Education Minister Vishweshwar Hegde Kageri
laid wreaths on his body.
Karnataka Congress chief G Parameshwara, Opposition
Leader in Assembly Siddaramaiah, state JDS president HD
Kumaraswamy and former energy minister H D Revanna also paid
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged