BBMP scam could be of Rs 10,000-20,000 cr: Cong
Bangalore: The Congress on Thursday demanded in
Karnataka Assembly a CBI probe into the multi-crore bogus bill
scam in the city corporation Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagara
Leader of Opposition Siddaramaiah said as per the enquiry
ordered by then BBMP Commissioner Siddaiah, it is a Rs 1,539
crore scam in three BBMP wards.
The Congress leader alleged that after the enquiry report
came in public domain, records were burnt in BBMP office, with
an attempt to destroy evidence and demanded a CBI probe into
Chief Minister D V Sadananda Gowda noted that the Crime
Investigation Department is already probing the scam and hence
there is no need for a discussion on it in the House.
"It (the scam) has not happened to the extent of Rs 1,500
crore. Prima facie, it is to the tune of Rs 5.22 crore
pertaining to bills for works which had not been carried out",
Siddaramaiah, however, said, "We don`t expect justice from
If enquiry is conducted in all the BBMP wards, the size of
the scam may top Rs 10,000 crore, he alleged. "Why was
Siddaiah transferred?", he wanted to know.
HD Revanna (JD-S) alleged that people don`t trust CID,
whose top officials force lower rank officers to file report
according to their wish.
Sharan Prakash Patil (Cong), who made a preliminary
submission seeking to move an adjournment motion on the issue,
said that between 2008 and 2010, when BBMP did not have any
elected representatives, there was corruption to the extent of
Rs 1,500 crore in the three wards.
"If enquiry is conducted in all the wards, it is estimated
that it`s a Rs 20,000 crore scam", Patil said, and demanded
that a House committee be constituted to probe it.
Speaker KG Bopaiah declined permission for the
adjournment motion, but allowed discussion under a different
rule to be taken up later.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani