Beggars deaths: Minister loses portfolio, official suspended
Bangalore: Acting tough, Chief Minister B S
Yeddyurappa on Friday divested Social Welfare Minister D Sudhakara
of his portfolio and suspended a senior official after a
public outcry over the death of 22 beggars in just three days
at a government-run Centre here.
As the death toll mounted to 22, the opposition parties
and public rapped the government for its failure to provide
proper medicare to inmates of the state`s only Beggar Relief
Yeddyurappa, soon after his return from Bellary where he
participated in a BJP rally, stripped Sudhakar of the
portfolio and entrusted it to Minister for Minor Irrigation,
Govind M Karjol.
Sudhakar has been allocated Religious Endowments which
was held additionally by Home Minister Dr V S Acharya.
Yeddyurappa also removed Manjesh Gowda as Chairman of the
Relief Centre, suspended its Secretary Krishnegowda and
replaced him with Joint Director of Social Welfare Ramaiah.
Sudhakar is one among the five independents supporting the
Earlier today, a four-member ministerial team headed by
Acharya went to the Centre, enquired about the health
condition of the inmates and inspected the condition there.
Acharya directed a medical team to conduct an inquiry and
to submit its findings by tomorrow.
He said an expert committee would be formed to guide the
government on long-term, short-term and medium term steps to
bring about improvements in the working of the Centre.
Speaking to reporters after visiting the Centre, he said
most inmates suffer from various ailments, some terminally
He was accompanied by Law Minister S Suresh Kumar, Water
Resources Minister Basavaraj Bommai, besides Sudhakara.
Two more persons died since last night.
In another development, the authorities allowed several
inmates who wanted to leave the Centre, to go home.
Yeddyurappa said a senior IAS officer would conduct a
probe into the deaths. He is also visiting the Centre
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi