Belgaum border dispute: Section 144 imposed as preventive measure, says SP
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
Mumbai: After the police action against Marathi-speaking people in Yellur in Karnataka prompted protests by political parties in Maharashtra, Belgaum Superintendent of Police Dr Chandragupta on Tuesday said that Section 144 has been imposed in the region till tonight.
The district SP also said that any further decision will only be taken after having consultations with District Magistrate.
Describing Sunday`s police action against Marathi people at Yellur district as an act of "terrorism", Shiv Sena sought the Centre`s intervention in its editorial mouthpiece `Saamana`.
The editorial said that if the Karnataka police is indulging in act of terror against the Marathi-speaking people then it becomes the responsibility of the Centre to curb this terrorism. It piece also said that the appeal is being made to the Central government because the ruling party in Maharashtra is incompetent.
Police had on Sunday lathicharged a group of pro-Maharashtra supporters who threw stones at them at Yellur after a "Maharashtra Rajya" plaque re-erected by them was removed by the district administration.
Pro-Maharashtra supporters had on Saturday re-erected a controversial signboard at Yellur after the previous one was razed to the ground by public works department on Friday following a high court order.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi