Bellary chalo padayatra a walk to protect K`taka: Cong
Bangalore: Congress on Friday said its 320-km
padayatra from here to Bellary on July 25 is "a walk to
protect Karnataka" against the misrule of the BJP government
and plundering of natural resources.
"The `padayatra` stems from a challenge thrown by three
Bellary ministers (in the wake of the illegal mining scam),
daring Congress to come there. It is not targetted at anyone,
but to create awareness about betrayal and misrule of BJP
government," KPCC president R V Deshpande and Opposition
Congress Leader in the Assembly Siddaramaiah told reporters
The three ministers -- G Janardhana Reddy, Karunakara
Reddy and B Sreeramulu -- have thrown a challenge to Congress
to dare to come to Bellary, which has been accepted,
Deshpande said invitations have been sent to Union
Ministers representing Karnataka and all leaders, besides
intellectuals, to take part in the `padayatra`, which would
highlight "rampant corruption" in the state and its failure to
provide relief to flood affected people.
Siddaramaiah termed the alleged illegal mining scam in
the state as the "mother of all scams", running to Rs 50,000
crore and came down heavily on the government for failing to
check "loot" of natural resources, even after Yeddyurappa
admitted to it.
He lashed out at Yeddyurappa for giving a clean chit to
the Reddy brothers.
The `padayatra` will be inaugurated by veteran Congress
leaders K H Ranganath and former labour minister Sriramulu.
The Congress has directed its workers in 15 Assembly
constituencies in the state to take part in the yatra.
The `padayatra` will culminate in a rally in the city on
August 9, coinciding with `Quit India Movement` day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen