Benefits of classical status to Kannada yet to be availed: CM
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister B S
Yeddyurappa has urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to direct
the Human Resources Ministry to take immediate action to
constitute a Standing Finance Committee to operationalise and
secure the benefits accruing from Kannada being accorded the
classical language status.
In a letter to the Prime Minister, he drew his attention
to the fact that the matter had been pending for over a year.
The notification granting Kannada classical language status
was issued on October 31, 2008.
Consequently, the state was entitled to certain benefits
for implementation of the Classical Language Status, including
instituting two major annual international awards for scholars
of eminence in Kannada, a centre for excellence for studies in
Kannada and creation of professional chairs on Kannada in
Central Universities under the UGC.
However, the operationalisation of these benefits required
the constitution of a standing committee comprising experts in
the field, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof