Better governance in India needs 90% voting: Lokayukta Hegde
Mangalore: Lokayukta N Santhosh Hegde on Friday said that a minimum of 90 percent voting by Indians is necessary for better governance and end all the malice in the country.
Delivering the founder`s day lecture of the Karnataka Bank here, Justice Hegde said the people became irrelevant in a democracy if people`s representatives involved themselves in activities, which people do not want.
It was necessary for citizens to exercise their franchise and elect the right candidate. Justice Hegde opposed the suggestion that there should be a "none of the above" button in Electoral Voting Machine.
"Such addition will be equal for not voting." He said that it would be good to make voting compulsory and suggested that youngsters should take the lead in voting. That would stop the growth of malice what we are experiencing now, he added.
Justice Hegde said that a person who really wants serve for the people need not have to spend money in elections or purchase voters. At present an estimate is that 25 percent of voters were purchased during the elections
Justice Hegde wanted the rich to help the poor and deprived class who did not have facilities for even a bucketful of water for their daily use. He said that democracy has lost its real meaning and has become "for some people, by some people".
There was need for better governance and pro-people administration to ensure democracy. He said that bureaucracy and politics have become conjoined twins.
Politicians misuse their power in transferring officials. Officials want corrupt persons in and around them to continue their practice of receiving bribes, he said.
Justice Hegde suggested that transfer of officials should be done without interference of politicians and the Chief Secretary should take the responsibility for the transfers.
“Each government employee enters to the government service with the oath to serve anywhere but still he wants transfer." `
"If anybody is not satisfied with the decision of Chief Secretary he can fight in Karntataka Administrative Tribunal rather than using politicians. I had visited 209 schools to interact with students to create awareness on corruption," he added.
Justice Hegde was received by Karnakata Bank chairman Ananthakrishna and managing director P Jayaram Bhat.
Padmshri Sudha Raghunathan Chennai performed vocal recital as part of the 87th founders day of the Karnataka Bank.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced