Bhardwaj to seek expert opinion on fresh floor test in Karnataka
New Delhi: Keeping the pressure on, Karnataka Governor HR Bhardwaj on Sunday said he would seek expert opinion on whether a floor test was necessary in the wake of Supreme Court quashing the disqualification of 11 rebel BJP MLAs and five Independents by the Speaker.
Bharadwaj, who had yesterday maintained that the verdict was a stricture against Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa, said he would take a decision on the issue once
he returns to Karnataka.
"Judgement has come. The power of judicial review vested in courts is the only way to stop arbitrariness and non-following of procedures and norms laid down by
Parliament," he told reporters here before leaving for Bangalore.
Asked whether he would ask the BJP Government to go for a floor test, he said: "Floor tests have not helped Karnataka. It was destroyed by manipulation."
"I have to seek comments," he said in reply to a question whether he thought a fresh floor test was necessary.
He said the Government has to function by adhering to norms laid down by the Constitution.
Yesterday, Bharadwaj appeared to suggest a fresh trial of strength for the BJP government in the wake of the verdict.
He had said the judgement reversing the High Court verdict in this regard was an endorsement of his stand that the floor test should be taken on the respective strength of the Assembly.
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part II
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part III
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part IV
- Whoa! 'Main Hoon Na' sequel on cards?
- Forest fires threaten to wipe out 1,500 villages in Uttarakhand, NDRF, IAF step in to mitigate crisis, govt issues alert
- World's richest temple mulls moving 7.5 tonne gold under monetisation scheme
- Six-year-old falls in borewell in Maharashtra, rescue operation on
- Want FIR against guilty before further probe on Adarsh Society scam: BJP