Bigamy petition against Kumaraswamy dismissed
Bangalore: The Karnataka High Court on Monday
dismissed a writ petition, seeking a direction to the Lok Sabha
Speaker to disqualify JDS state President HD Kumaraswamy from
membership of Parliament for allegedly committing bigamy.
The division bench headed by Chief Justice Vikramajit Sen
dismissed the petition filed by city-based advocate
Sashidhar Belagumba on the grounds of lack of proof.
Belagumba had filed the petition in the High Court in 2011,
charging Kumaraswamy with going in for a second marriage to
Kannada actress Radhika.He contended that the JD(S) leader, a
Lok Sabha member, ought to be disqualified from Parliament
membership as he has committed a `crime` by marrying again
while his first wife Anitha is alive.
The petitioner referred to Section 494 of IPC (marrying
again during lifetime of husband or wife) and to Radhika?s
admission in the press and its confirmation by Kumaraswamy.
The JD(S) leader had also confirmed fathering a child with
Radhika, according to the petition, which said Kumaraswamy is
prohibited from bigamy as he is a Hindu.
The petitioner however had stated that he was not seeking
any prosecution of the JD (S) leader.
"Every Indian citizen should be treated equally and the law
of the land uniformly applied to everyone as enunciated in
Article 14 of the Constitution," the petitioner had said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!