BJP blames infighting for Karnataka rout
Bangalore: A day after its rout in Karnataka municipal polls, the ruling BJP blamed the debacle on infighting and vowed corrective measures to ensure the party wins the assembly polls due in two months.
Senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leaders met here Tuesday to discuss the reasons for the dismal show in the polls to 207 urban local bodies held March 7. The results were announced Monday.
"Infighting cost us. KJP (Karnataka Janata Party) and BSR Congress also took away our votes," Higher Education Minister CT Ravi told reporters after the meeting.
Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar, his two deputies KS Eshwarappa and R Ashoka, former chief minister DV Sadananda Gowda and a few Lok Sabha members attended the meeting.
KJP was formed by former BJP chief minister BS Yeddyurappa while BSR Congress by former BJP minister B Sriramulu.
Ravi said "we will take corrective measures. We are confident of winning the Assembly polls."
On possibility of Yeddyurappa`s return to BJP, he said: "Nothing is ruled out in politics."
However Yeddyurappa, at a separate press meet, gloated over the defeat of his former party.
"My aim was to defeat BJP in the urban local bodies poll. That has been achieved," he said
The KJP won less than 300 of the over 4,900 seats in the local bodies.
The BJP won over 900 seats and was tied with Janata Dal-Secular while the Congress bagged more than 1,900 seats.
The BSR Congress managed only about 80 seas.
Yeddyurappa said he will not return to BJP though he hoped "BJP leaders will realise that the party has come to such a pass without me".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth