BJP central leaders to pick Karnataka party unit chief
Bangalore: The BJP central leaders will pick a new head for the party`s Karnataka unit within a week as no consensus emerged at Saturday`s discussions here to find a successor to KS Eshwarappa who quit the post on Thursday, party sources said.
Senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Arun Jaitley flew back to New Delhi on Saturday evening to brief party president Rajnath Singh on the discussions he had with Karnataka unit leaders on the issue.
Jaitley, Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha, had one-on-one talks with Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar, Eshwarappa, former party chief and former chief minister DV Sadananda Gowda and a few other leaders before all of them met in a group to finalise the name.
However, no unanimity emerged as there were several claimants and factors like caste, region and acceptability - both to RSS (Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh) and party cadres - had to be reconciled, particularly because assembly elections are due in the state in May, the sources said.
Hence, the Karnataka unit has left it to party central leadership to announce the new head based on Jaitley`s assessment of the situation in the only state the party is in power in southern India, the sources said.
They said the leaders being considered for post include Sadananda Gowda, Deputy Chief Minister R Ashoka, Minor Irrigation Minister Govind Karjol and Lok Sabha members Pralhad Joshi and Nalin Kumar Kateel.
Jaitley was assisted in Saturday`s exercise by BJP general secretary and Karnataka party affairs in-charge Dharmendra Pradhan. The two arrived here late Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- DNA: Analysing the derogatory remarks made by Chinese Newspaper on Indians
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption