BJP expels Dhananjaya Kumar for six years
Bangalore: Sending a tough message to rebel BJP leader B S Yeddyurappa, the party on Tuesday expelled his loyalist and former union minister V Dhananjaya Kumar for six years from the organisation.
The expulsion of Kumar, recently eased out as Karnataka`s Special Representative in Delhi, a post with Cabinet rank status, came within hours after he questioned the state leadership for issuing him a show cause notice.
BJP had slapped the notice on Kumar in the wake of his outbursts against Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar over his handling of the Cauvery issue.
BJP general secretary Raghunathrao Malkapure, who issued the order, said the expulsion was with immediate effect.
"In your reply, you have defended your statements and actions. In the wake of your not expressing any regret or tendering an apology, you have been expelled from the primary membership of the party for six years," he said.
Earlier, Kumar had released a four-page reply to the October 6 show cause notice at a press conference and slammed the party for targetting Yeddyurappa`s loyalists.
In his reply, he said the party was initiating disciplinary action against him because he was a supporter of Yeddyurappa. "Is the party trying to send a message that nobody should protest against injustice. Is this the ideology of BJP?"
A former Lok Sabha MP from Mangalore, he also questioned why similar action was not taken against BJP national General Secretary H N Anantkumar after he faced charges in the alleged HUDCO scam and his name was linked to lobbyist Nira Radia.
Kumar also wanted to know why BJP had not acted against state unit President and Deputy Chief Minister K S Eswarappa for his statements that `dented` BJP`s image and also against RSS leader Santosh, who faced several allegations.
Last week, Yeddyurappa, who has been repeatedly criticising the BJP central leadership, had warned the Jagadish Shettar headed government would not survive if disciplinary action was taken against his loyalists.
The state unit had ignored the threat and struck at Kumar, a known loyalist of Yeddyurappa who has declared he would float his own party in December and quit BJP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow