BJP gears up for Karnataka assembly polls
Bangalore: Amid BS Yeddyurappa`s threat to topple its government, the BJP today decided to galvanise its rank and file under the leadership of Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar to face the assembly polls, due in May.
The BJP`s "Chintan Baitak" (brain-storming session) held here finalised a three-phase campaign from January 20 to March three.
The political situation in the backdrop of exit of former BJP strongman Yeddyurappa, who floated his KJP, and the preparedness for the polls were discussed at a meeting of the core Committee, office bearers and also heads of various wings.
After the meeting, BJP General Secretary Prahalad Joshi told reporters the party would embark on a "door-to-door" campaign to highlight the achievements of its government from January 20 to Jan 27, hold booth level party workers conventions from January 28 to February 10 and statewide tours between February 17 to March 3.
It has been decided to hold a district level meeting on January ten and a rally in Bangalore on March three, he said.
Top leaders like L K Advani, Sushma Swaraj, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, Rajnath Singh, Arun Jaitley, and M Venkaiah Naidu will campaign in at least 50 centres in the state, Joshi said.
He said the BJP central leadership will announce the name of the state unit president in about a week`s time.
Replying to a question, Joshi said the party will take action against those MLAs who have identified with Yeddyurappa`s KJP and did not indicate any time frame for it.
"We have already taken action against B J Puttaswamy for anti-party activities", he said when asked whether action would be taken against 14 MLAs who attended the KJP executive meeting yesterday.
Yeddyurappa yesterday had set January 15 as the deadline to dislodge the Shettar government.
Joshi said the party did not attach importance to "KJP deadlines" and asserted the government will complete its term.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar