BJP gears up for Karnataka assembly polls
Bangalore: Amid BS Yeddyurappa`s threat to topple its government, the BJP today decided to galvanise its rank and file under the leadership of Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar to face the assembly polls, due in May.
The BJP`s "Chintan Baitak" (brain-storming session) held here finalised a three-phase campaign from January 20 to March three.
The political situation in the backdrop of exit of former BJP strongman Yeddyurappa, who floated his KJP, and the preparedness for the polls were discussed at a meeting of the core Committee, office bearers and also heads of various wings.
After the meeting, BJP General Secretary Prahalad Joshi told reporters the party would embark on a "door-to-door" campaign to highlight the achievements of its government from January 20 to Jan 27, hold booth level party workers conventions from January 28 to February 10 and statewide tours between February 17 to March 3.
It has been decided to hold a district level meeting on January ten and a rally in Bangalore on March three, he said.
Top leaders like L K Advani, Sushma Swaraj, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, Rajnath Singh, Arun Jaitley, and M Venkaiah Naidu will campaign in at least 50 centres in the state, Joshi said.
He said the BJP central leadership will announce the name of the state unit president in about a week`s time.
Replying to a question, Joshi said the party will take action against those MLAs who have identified with Yeddyurappa`s KJP and did not indicate any time frame for it.
"We have already taken action against B J Puttaswamy for anti-party activities", he said when asked whether action would be taken against 14 MLAs who attended the KJP executive meeting yesterday.
Yeddyurappa yesterday had set January 15 as the deadline to dislodge the Shettar government.
Joshi said the party did not attach importance to "KJP deadlines" and asserted the government will complete its term.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- Does religion teach gender discrimination?
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!