BJP gears up for Karnataka assembly polls
Bangalore: Amid BS Yeddyurappa`s threat to topple its government, the BJP today decided to galvanise its rank and file under the leadership of Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar to face the assembly polls, due in May.
The BJP`s "Chintan Baitak" (brain-storming session) held here finalised a three-phase campaign from January 20 to March three.
The political situation in the backdrop of exit of former BJP strongman Yeddyurappa, who floated his KJP, and the preparedness for the polls were discussed at a meeting of the core Committee, office bearers and also heads of various wings.
After the meeting, BJP General Secretary Prahalad Joshi told reporters the party would embark on a "door-to-door" campaign to highlight the achievements of its government from January 20 to Jan 27, hold booth level party workers conventions from January 28 to February 10 and statewide tours between February 17 to March 3.
It has been decided to hold a district level meeting on January ten and a rally in Bangalore on March three, he said.
Top leaders like L K Advani, Sushma Swaraj, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, Rajnath Singh, Arun Jaitley, and M Venkaiah Naidu will campaign in at least 50 centres in the state, Joshi said.
He said the BJP central leadership will announce the name of the state unit president in about a week`s time.
Replying to a question, Joshi said the party will take action against those MLAs who have identified with Yeddyurappa`s KJP and did not indicate any time frame for it.
"We have already taken action against B J Puttaswamy for anti-party activities", he said when asked whether action would be taken against 14 MLAs who attended the KJP executive meeting yesterday.
Yeddyurappa yesterday had set January 15 as the deadline to dislodge the Shettar government.
Joshi said the party did not attach importance to "KJP deadlines" and asserted the government will complete its term.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- PM Narendra Modi brings water to parched Saurashtra region in Gujarat
- Afghanistan deports 250 Pakistanis due to border tension
- India test fires Scramjet engine, joins elite club of nations
- Trupti Desai enters Haji Ali Dargah in Mumbai; says happy that no one objected us
- Turkish bombardment kills 35 civilians in Syria: Monitor