BJP govt committed to ban cow slaughter: K’taka CM
Bangalore: Chief Minister DV Sadananda Gowda
on Monday said BJP government is committed to ban cow slaughter in
the state despite a bill in this regard being returned by
President Pratibha Patil, suggesting certain amendments.
"The bill has been returned by the President suggesting
certain amendments, but the government is committed to ban cow
slaughter in the state," he said at Siddaganga Mutt to mark
Shivakumara Swami`s 105th birth anniversary in Tumkur, nearly
80 kms away from here.
The amendments would be incorporated in the bill and be
reintroduced in the next state legislative session, he said.
"The bill will be sent for Governor HR Bhardwaj`s assent
after passing it in both houses of the legislature," he added.
In July 2011, the Governor had reserved the bill for the
President’s consideration. He had then said it infringes on the
fundamental rights of citizens and is against Apex Court
Former Prime Minister and JD(S) leader H Deve Gowda had
objected to the bill, alleging that it was passed in the house
without following `democratic norms`.
He also said government has taken steps to meet the demand
to set up a Cow Welfare Commission."Necessary provision will
be made in the next budget presentation in March," he said.
Gowda also announced a three crore grant for construction
of Kotilingeswhara Temple to be built at a cost of Rs 12
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people