BJP govt in Karnataka has no moral right to continue: Chidambaram
Bangalore: BJP government in Karnataka has no moral authority to continue in office, Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram on Tuesday said and asked Congressmen to work for their party`s return to power.
"BJP government does not have any moral authority to remain in power. It is remaining in office because of `Operation Lotus` and nobody is moving a no-confidence motion against the government. I do not want to elaborate much on it," he said here.
BJP, which formed its first ever government in the south four years ago, had launched `Operation Lotus` in the first year of its rule to gain a strong majority by wooing opposition MLAs to resign from their parties and the assembly and seek re-election on the saffron party ticket.
Addressing Congress office-bearers at Karnataka Pradesh Congress Committee office, Chidambaram said the best opportunity for Congress to come back to power in Karnataka was when "the BJP is splitting".
"The BJP is splitting. Even today I have been told that (rebel party leader) B S Yeddyurappa is launching his party in December," he said referring to the former chief minister`s resolve to break away from BJP and float his own party.
He said Congress should support and protect its natural constituency of neglected sections which would help the party to come back to power in the state.
"Congress must support and protect its natural constituency of OBCs, SCs, STs, minorities, women and youth. This was Indira Gandhi`s message. Once we send out this message, there will be no power on earth which can stop Congress from coming back to power in Karnataka," he said.
Chidamabram said the party cannot abandon its natural constituency to other parties. "We are not a caste-based and religion-based party. We are the party which represents the entire colour of the society," he said.
He said he did not know when elections would take place in Karnataka, but urged Congress leaders to prepare for it.
Congress should not believe opposition`s prediction that Lok Sabha elections would take place before May, 2014, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?