BJP govt to spend Rs 50 cr for Christian development schemes
Bangalore: Seeking to reach out to
Christians, the BJP government in Karnataka today decided to
spend Rs 35 crore for construction of their community halls
and providing financial help to their poor students, and Rs 15
crore for development of churches.
Rs 50 crore had been provided in the 2011-12 budget for
taking up development schemes related to the Christian
community, state Law Minister S Suresh Kumar told reporters.
Officials said such an allocation for the community has
been made for the first time in Karnataka budget.
Kumar said Minority Welfare Minister Mumtaz Ali Khan has
held an interaction with prominent leaders of the community on
development schemes to be taken up under the budget allocation
It was decided to allocate Rs 35 crore on building
Christian community halls, education loans to poor Christian
students, micro-credit and skill-building schemes and merit
"The remaining Rs 15 crore was decided to be spent on
renovation and restoration works of churches", Kumar said.
He said a committee has been constituted with Khan as
Chairman and representatives of Christian community as
members, which would draw up plans on allocation to various
The state BJP government had came under attack after a
spate of attacks on churches in some parts of the state in
2008 over alleged attempts at forced conversions, land
grabbing and distribution of inflammatory literature targeting
However, Somasekhara Judicial Commission on January 28
this year gave clean chit to the Yeddyurappa Government and
Sangh Parivar outfits over the church attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report