BJP grapples with govt formation, lobbying for ministry berths
Bangalore: With the dust settling over the leadership issue in Karnataka, the focus is now on government formation under Chief Minister-designate Jagadish Shettar as lobbying for Cabinet berths and key ministries gathered momentum on Monday.
In-charge of BJP Affairs in Karnataka, Dharmendra Pradhan held consultations with outgoing Chief Minister D V Sadananda Gowda and state unit President K S Eshwarappa even as several Ministers and MLAs also met him at the BJP office here.
Senior central party leaders Arun Jaitley and Rajnath Singh are slated to arrive here this evening to oversee the legislature party meeting, expected to be held tomorrow or on Wednesday and discuss ministry-formation issues.
Gowda had retained all Ministers of the Yeddyurappa cabinet when he assumed charge in August last year.
Ministerial aspirants had been making a vigorous push in recent weeks for berths, and Gowda is holding some 20 portfolios as he gets ready to demit office. It will be interesting to see if there is a reshuffle and induction of new faces under Shettar.
BJP, sources said, is also weighing the option of having a Deputy Chief Minister, a post for which there is a triangular fight between Eshwarappa, Transport and Home Minister R Ashoka and Kannada and Culture Minister Govind M Karjol.
Karjol, a Dalit leader, is being propped up by the Gowda and anti-Yeddyurappa camps. There is a possibility that BJP might not create a Deputy Chief Minister post after all amid apprehension that it`s a recipe for more trouble.
Supporters of Gowda are pushing the party`s central leadership to make him State unit President, a move obviously not to the liking of the Yeddyurappa camp.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’