BJP ignores Opposition protest in K’taka, pushes through business
Bangalore: Ignoring dharna by the Opposition
for the second day on Tuesday, ruling BJP had its way in ensuring
conduct of official business in the Assembly and "unanimous"
election of its nominee N Yogish Bhat as Deputy Speaker.
Shouting slogans, demanding debate on alleged land scams
and corruption under adjournment motion, Congress and JDS
members refused to call off their protest, insisting that the
government yield to their plea.
Brushing aside their noisy protest with Opposition
members raising slogans like "BJP has looted thousands of
crores of rupees", government pleaded with Speaker KG Bopaiah
to conduct the official business, which he obliged.
Amid the din, the House went through motion of laying of
written answers, laying of papers on the table of the House
and reports of various legislature committees.
The House also saw election of Bhat as Deputy Speaker
with the motion proposing his name for the post being carried
by voice vote. The Speaker rejected Opposition pleas to
postpone it till the courts give verdicts on disqualification
of 11 BJP rebel MLAs and five independents, who had withdrawn
support to the government.
The Opposition launched a dharna yesterday stalling
proceedings for the entire day demanding a discussion under
adjournment motion on corruption charges against government
and also resignation of Chief Minister Yeddyurappa.
Congress leader Siddaramaiah said holding of Deputy
Speaker`s election at this stage, would amount to curbing the
rights of disqualified MLAs but it was rejected by government.
Siddaramaiah accused the BJP of giving a go by to the
tradition of accepting opposition nominee to the Deputy
Speaker`s post. Law Minister S Suresh Kumar, however, said
since 1985 to 2004, no ruling party had followed the
Bopaiah said since the process for the election has
already been initiated, it cannot be postponed and went ahead
After the election, Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa and
Siddaramaiah felicitated Bhat, four time MLA from Mangalore
While the dharna continued, Yeddyurappa, who holds the
Finance portfolio, also moved the supplementary estimates
(second installment) through which the government sought nod
for spending Rs 506 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow