BJP, JD-S win Karnataka bypolls, Congress loses again
Bangalore: The ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and opposition Janata Dal-Secular (JD-S) on Thursday bagged one seat each in two Karnataka bypolls, but the Congress drew a blank, continuing a dismal run for the party in the state.
The JD-S scored an upset win in Gulbarga South when Aruna Patil Revoor, widow of Revoor, the sitting BJP assembly member whose death necessitated the bypoll, rode home on the sympathy factor and the "BJP`s betrayal" in denying her the party nomination.
She defeated senior BJP state leader and legislative council member Sashil Namoshi and Congress candidate Ajay Singh, son of former chief minister N. Dharam Singh, by over 3,000 votes. Namoshi came third, just behind Singh.
The BJP has little presence in north Karantaka.
The BJP won the Kadur seat in Chikmagalur district where the sympathy factor did not work for Congress nominee K.M. Kemparaju, brother of KM Krishnamurhty whose death brought about the bypoll.
BJP nominee YC Vishwanath, a medical practitioner in the area, defeated his nearest rival, JD-S spokesperson and legislative council member YSV Datta, by over 13,000 votes. Kemparaju came third.
The by-poll results are a severe blow to the Congress whose dismal show in all elections continues since the 2008 assembly polls, which brought the BJP to power for the first time in Karnataka and south India.
The loss in Gulbarga South is a major jolt to Dharam Singh and union Labour Minister Mallikharjun Kharge, considered the tallest Congress leaders in Gulbarga district.
The campaign for the two by-polls for which voting took place on Sep 13 was dominated by the illegal mining issue with the parties blaming each other for encouraging it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried