BJP rebel Sriramulu wins Bellary bypoll
Bellary (Karnataka): The ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in Karnataka on Sunday suffered a drubbing at the hands of mining barons Reddy brothers in the Bellary Rural Assembly seat bypoll with the rebel brothers` associate B Sriramulu, fighting as independent, winning the constituency by 46,000 votes.
Around 120,000 votes were polled on November 30 in the bypoll which BJP nominee P Gadilingappa and B Ramprasad of Congress lost.
Sriramulu had quit BJP on November 9 to contest as independent.
While Sriramulu secured a total 74,527 votes, BJP’s Gadilingappa finished a poor third losing the deposit managing only 17,366 votes behind Congress` Ramprasad who garnered 27,737 votes in the triangular fight.
Over 71 percent of the around 171,000 eligible voters had cast their ballot in the bypoll caused by Sriramulu quitting the seat which he had won in the May 2008 Assembly elections.
With Sriramulu`s victory, Reddy brothers` gamble in taking on BJP, inspite of the most aggressive of them, Gali Janardhana Reddy, being in Hyderabad jail in connection with illegal mining in Andhra Pradesh, has paid off.
The Reddy brothers -- Janardhana, Karunakara and Somashekara -- sons of a police constable in neighbouring Andhra Pradesh, made Bellary, the iron rich district 300 km north of Bangalore their home and consider it as their pocket borough.
The three brothers are still in BJP, though the party has suspended Somashekara for campaigning for Sriramulu. Karunakara and Somashekara are Assembly members while Janardhana is in Legislative Council.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price