BJP releases 2nd candidates list, mum on taint
Bangalore: Ruling BJP in Karnataka on Tuesday released the second list of 35 candidates for the May 5 Assembly elections, refraining from taking a call on fielding tainted MLAs.
The list was finalised by the BJP Central Election Committee which met in New Delhi under the Presidentship of Rajnath Singh, party General Secretary H N Ananth Kumar said in a statement here.
The CEC meeting was attended by BJP leaders L.K. Advani, Sushma Swaraj and all members of the panel, he said.
As in the first list of 140 candidates released on April 5, suspense continues over the fate of former ministers Katta Subramanya Naidu and Krishnaiah Setty as also Y Sampangi who are facing corruption charges and had gone to jail.
Minister V Somanna, who had initially showed signs of dithering on continuing in BJP, has been renominated to contest from Bangalore, days after he made it clear he would not join Karnataka Jantha Paksha led by former party strongman B S Yeddyurappa.
S H Manjunath will take on Yeddyurappa in his bastion in Shikaripura constituency in Shimoga district.
BJP`s principal rival Congress has released the first list containing the names of 177 candidates, which has caused heartburn particularly among leaders seeking tickets for their kin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje