BJP releases 2nd candidates list, mum on taint
Bangalore: Ruling BJP in Karnataka on Tuesday released the second list of 35 candidates for the May 5 Assembly elections, refraining from taking a call on fielding tainted MLAs.
The list was finalised by the BJP Central Election Committee which met in New Delhi under the Presidentship of Rajnath Singh, party General Secretary H N Ananth Kumar said in a statement here.
The CEC meeting was attended by BJP leaders L.K. Advani, Sushma Swaraj and all members of the panel, he said.
As in the first list of 140 candidates released on April 5, suspense continues over the fate of former ministers Katta Subramanya Naidu and Krishnaiah Setty as also Y Sampangi who are facing corruption charges and had gone to jail.
Minister V Somanna, who had initially showed signs of dithering on continuing in BJP, has been renominated to contest from Bangalore, days after he made it clear he would not join Karnataka Jantha Paksha led by former party strongman B S Yeddyurappa.
S H Manjunath will take on Yeddyurappa in his bastion in Shikaripura constituency in Shimoga district.
BJP`s principal rival Congress has released the first list containing the names of 177 candidates, which has caused heartburn particularly among leaders seeking tickets for their kin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley