BJP revokes suspension of its four Bellary MLAs
Bangalore: With an eye on the December 22 bypoll to the lone Legislative Council seat, ruling BJP in Karnataka on Wednesday revoked suspension of its four rebel Bellary legislators including G Somasekhara Reddy, brother of jailed former minister G Janardhana Reddy.
The party revoked suspension of Somasekhara Reddy, H T
Suresh Babu, B Nagendra (all MLAs) and MLC Mruthyunjaya
Jinaga, state unit BJP President K S Eswarappa told reporters.
The party had suspended the four legislators on November
25 on charges of indulging in anti-party activities after they
openly supported rebel leader B Sreeramulu in the Bellary
Rural Constituency bypoll held last month.
Sreeramulu successfully contested the by-election and
threatened to defeat Chief Minister D V Sadananda Gowda in the
Council bypoll, claiming that he had the support of 22 MLAs,
which he retracted later.
Eswarappa said all the four suspended legislators have
replied to the show cause notice issued by the party and
declared that they continue to be BJP members. They have also
sought the revocation of their suspension, he said.
In the light of this development, the central leadership
will take a decision on revoking the suspension of MPs -- J
Shanta, sister of Sreeramulu and Sanna Fakirappa, who
represent Bellary and Raichur Lok Sabha seats, respectively.
The BJP High Command had suspended both the MPs for
supporting Sreeramulu in the bypoll.
Eswarappa admitted that the coming council bypoll was
also the reason for the decision to withdraw the suspension of
its three MLAs.
The BJP has 121 members support including the Speaker in
the 224-member House, with Congress and JDS enjoying a
strength of 71 and 26 respectively.
Congress has fielded Anand Gaddadevaramath in the bypoll
hoping to cash in on the rebellion within the ruling party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling