BJP revokes suspension of its four Bellary MLAs
Bangalore: With an eye on the December 22 bypoll to the lone Legislative Council seat, ruling BJP in Karnataka on Wednesday revoked suspension of its four rebel Bellary legislators including G Somasekhara Reddy, brother of jailed former minister G Janardhana Reddy.
The party revoked suspension of Somasekhara Reddy, H T
Suresh Babu, B Nagendra (all MLAs) and MLC Mruthyunjaya
Jinaga, state unit BJP President K S Eswarappa told reporters.
The party had suspended the four legislators on November
25 on charges of indulging in anti-party activities after they
openly supported rebel leader B Sreeramulu in the Bellary
Rural Constituency bypoll held last month.
Sreeramulu successfully contested the by-election and
threatened to defeat Chief Minister D V Sadananda Gowda in the
Council bypoll, claiming that he had the support of 22 MLAs,
which he retracted later.
Eswarappa said all the four suspended legislators have
replied to the show cause notice issued by the party and
declared that they continue to be BJP members. They have also
sought the revocation of their suspension, he said.
In the light of this development, the central leadership
will take a decision on revoking the suspension of MPs -- J
Shanta, sister of Sreeramulu and Sanna Fakirappa, who
represent Bellary and Raichur Lok Sabha seats, respectively.
The BJP High Command had suspended both the MPs for
supporting Sreeramulu in the bypoll.
Eswarappa admitted that the coming council bypoll was
also the reason for the decision to withdraw the suspension of
its three MLAs.
The BJP has 121 members support including the Speaker in
the 224-member House, with Congress and JDS enjoying a
strength of 71 and 26 respectively.
Congress has fielded Anand Gaddadevaramath in the bypoll
hoping to cash in on the rebellion within the ruling party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?