BJP secures 2.2 percent more vote share over Congress in Karnataka
Bangalore: Riding on the "Modi wave", a 2.2 percent swing in its favour has propelled BJP to outperform the ruling Congress in Karnataka and secure 17 seats.
The Congress has secured 40.8 per cent of the votes as against BJP`s 43 per cent, up from 41.63 per cent in the 2009 Lok Sabha polls, an analysis of the voting percentage showed.
In the last Lok Sabha elections, BJP had secured 19 seats, Congress six and JDS 3.
It is a remarkable turnaround for BJP which had polled 19.9 per cent of the votes in the May 2013 Assembly polls that brought down the party`s first ever government in the South.
BS Yeddyurappa had then played spoilsport to BJP`s prospects by securing 10 per cent share. The Lingayat strongman has since returned to BJP, which got its act together ahead of the Lok Sabha polls.
JDS led by former Prime Minister H D Deve Gowda secured 11 per cent voting share, down from 13.57 it had got in the last Lok Sabha polls. The party won two seats.
Aam Aadmi Party which had aimed to gain a toehold in Karnataka by contesting across the state has put up a miserable show with a mere 0.8 per cent vote share.
Independents secured 1.6 per cent vote share, a drop from 4.12 in the 2009 parliamentary polls.
BJP has won the seats spreading its influence across Mumbai-Karnataka, Hyderabad-Karnataka, Central Karnataka, South Karnataka and coastal Karnataka regions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown