BJP shies away from early re-entry of BSY into party fold
Bangalore: BJP has shied away from early re-entry of former Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa into the party fold, apprehending that a green signal would provide "ammunition" to the Congress to attack it.
"It`s a question of the party`s image. We don`t want to
give a stick to the Congress to beat us," a senior BJP leader said, who expects possible coming back of the political heavyweight closer to the elections, when defections from one party to another are seen as "normal".
A section of the BJP state unit is pushing for the return
of Yeddyurappa, who quit the party last year and forged Karnataka Janata Party which, however, won only six seats in the 224-member Assembly in the May polls.
But KJP garnered nearly ten per cent of the total vote share, damaging the prospects of BJP, which sought a mandate to return to power, with the Congress registering a landslide victory.
BJP state unit yesterday released a list of its new office-bearers and chiefs of various Morchas, virtually shutting the door on aspirants from KJP, who were expected to be accommodated in case of an early merger.
Yeddyurappa has also sought to harden his stand. "There
is no question of going back to the BJP. I plead with people not to make efforts towards my return to BJP," he said. KJP has already made it clear it would support the NDA.
Meanwhile, former Chief Minister DV Sadananda Gowda, a
key figure pushing for his return to the party, told reporters that Yeddyurappa`s pain (that he had to leave the party which he nurtured and built) was understandable, adding, BJP`s high-command would have to take decision on taking him back.
KJP sources said the party has sought a key position for
Yeddyurappa in decision-making process as a pre-condition for his return, but BJP leaders said their central leadership has not given a green signal, which is expected to come only closer to the Lok Sabha elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Sterling, stocks skid as Brexit result agonisingly close
- REVEALED: Anil Kumble's first message to India captains Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Virat Kohli after appointment
- 'Mirzya' trailer alert! Harshvardhan Kapoor spells enchanting cast in a splendid tale by Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra
- RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat to share dais with Leonardo DiCaprio in UK: Reports
- Oops! Salman Khan mocks Hollywood return Priyanka Chopra and Deepika Padukone, but WHY?