BJP stages walkout on drought issue
Bangalore: Accusing the Congress of failure in tackling the drought situation in the state, BJP members today staged a walkout in the Karnataka Assembly.
During a debate on the issue, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah assured the House that all steps had been taken to face drought-related problems and that the government is ready to face it.
"The government is ready to face drought. There is no dearth of money. The government will give money to solve all problems relating to drought including drinking water problem," he said.
However, not satisfied with Siddaramaiah`s reply, the BJP staged a walkout raising slogans against the government.
Leader of Opposition Jagadish Shettar said the government had failed to address the drought situation and had "not prepared" any contingency plan.
"It had not conducted even one meeting of the Disaster Management Authority, headed by Chief Minister," he said.
Congress members, however, alleged that the BJP was politicising the drought issue to gain political gains.
The government has instructed the authorities concerned to give some more repayment time for those farmers who have taken short and medium term loans, Siddaramaiah said.
Earlier, Revenue Minister Srinivasa Prasad said the contingency plan is in place and all measures have been taken to tackle the drought. The state has been reeling under drought for the last three years and the government has been taking appropriate steps to tackle it, he said.
From March to May, the state received good rainfall which was 30 per cent more than normal and in June, it recorded 47 per cent deficiency in rainfall, Prasad said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...