BJP wants Oppn to debate on scams in legislature session
Bangalore: Under attack over alleged scams,
ruling BJP in Karnataka on Thursday invited opposition parties to
utilise the legislature forum for a debate on the issues
during the joint session of the state Assembly beginning from
The BJP central leadership had deployed its leaders
including Arun Jaitley to guide Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa
and his team on ways to take on the belligerent Congress and
JD-S during the session.
Jaitley, who arrived here yesterday, was joined by
Dharmendra Pradhan, in-charge of Karnataka affairs, General
Secretary Anantkumar, state unit party president K S Eswarappa
and others to evolve strategies to counter the opposition
which have been making allegations of corruption and land
scams against the Yeddyurappa government.
Jaitley said the Core Group debated on the prevailing
political situation and the BJP`s prospects in the on-going
"The meeting essentially related to the political
situation in the state. We have in particular last night and
today morning discussed at length the on-going panchayat
elections and the party, which has had an aggressive
campaigning, is optimistic of doing extremely well," he said.
He said BJP wants the opposition to engage itself in
normal democratic activities in the state legislature and
added "the opposition have made certain charges, the party is
ready to debate on them".
Jaitley said BJP wants to see how the opposition reacts
to its invitation of debating on scams and will decide future
plans in the event of the opposition not willing for a debate.
"The BJP expects the Governor to function within the
purview of the Constitution," he said to a query on outbursts
by Governor H R Bhardwaj against the state government.
Jaitley said the Core Group did not discuss the issue of
change in leadership of Yeddyurappa, who last month got a
reprieve to continue in office despite allegations of
He avoided response to a query whether Yeddyurappa would
be allowed to expand his ministry, remarking "it is the
prerogative of the Chief Minister".
Jaitley said the group would meet again after the
panchayat election results were announced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?