BJP withdraws dharna over SI`s death in Gulbarga gun battle
Bangalore: BJP members who were staging dharna in the legislative assembly over the death of a police official in a gun battle with a criminal in Gulbarga withdrew their protest on Monday after Home Minister KJ George said the status report on CID probe into matter would be placed in the House before the close of the ongoing session.
"The government will present the status report of the CID investigation into the killing of the sub-inspector Mallikarjun Bande in Gulbarga and hence I request the protesting members to assume their seats for conducting the session," George said.
Opposition BJP leader Jagadish Shettar said they were withdrawing the dharna hoping that the government conducts the CID investigation impartially and presents its status report before the conclusion of the ongoing session.
As soon as the House met, BJP members continued with their dharna being staged since Friday demanding CBI inquiry and transfer of Inspector General of Police (North-Eastern Range), Mohammad Wazir Ahmed, in the matter for his alleged "suspicious role."
"Since serious allegations are levelled against IGP, the case should be handed over to CBI for an impartial inquiry," Shettar added.
Bande was killed during a raid in Gulbarga along with other police officials on the hideout of alleged contract killer Munna Darbadar, who shot at him.
Shettar also alleged that the IGP was harassing Bande for the last six months, a charge even levelled by the slain sub-inspector`s wife Mallamma. He said the government appeared to be protecting the IGP instead of keeping him under suspension and ordering an inquiry.
Countering this, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah said the opposition cannot compel government to hand over the case to CBI. "We have already given three cases to the CBI in three other incidents. The previous BJP government did not even hand over any matter to the CBI.... We have tremendous faith in CBI, but since the CID is investigating it, it wouldn`t be appropriate to order CBI inquiry now," he said.
Opposition members, especially from BJP, shouted slogans against the government and in the prevailing din Speaker Kagodu Thimappa adjourned the House for half-an-hour. Soon after it reassembled, George assured the protesting members that the government would present the status report on the investigation into Bande`s killing. Subsequently, the BJP members withdrew their dharna.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'