Boost to MBBS, PG seats in Govt medical colleges in Karnataka
Bangalore: The Centre had approved Karnataka`s
proposal to enhance MBBS seats in government-run medical
colleges by 500 and also grant additional 350 post-graduate
seats in them, Medical Education Minister S A Ramadass said on Friday.
Ramadass, back from attending a two-day conference of health
and medical education ministers in Hyderabad which concluded
yesterday, said as a result the number of MBBS seats in 10
Government medical colleges would go up to 1,600 from the
He said 100 PG seats have been allotted for the first time
in six government medical colleges in Mandya, Belgaum, Hassan,
Shimoga, Raichur and Bidar, and 250 more in other four medical
colleges, raising the number of PG seats to 694 in the state.
Ramadass said Karnataka`s suggestion to conduct exam in MBBS
after four-and-half-years and then undergo a mandatory
one-year internship in rural areas was accepted by the Centre,
which would now amend the Medical Council of India curriculum
in this regard to be applicable to the entire country.
The Union government has agreed to upgrade the SDS
Sanatorium and Chest Diseases Hospital here into a national
institute, for which the state would prepare a project report
and would have to provide a seed money of 10 percent, he said.
Ramadass said Kolar and Shimoga in Karnataka are among
the 100 districts in the country where diabetic patients could
take medical costs and cancer patients go in for operation
free of cost, including in the private hospitals, in the sense
the cost would be borne by the Central Government.
"In the 12th (five-year) plan, all medical colleges will
start mental health courses. The Centre would give a grant of
Rs 1.5 crore each for these medical colleges", he said.
The minister said a meeting of standing committee on health
of city corportions, municipalities and zilla panchayats would
be convened shortly to discuss steps to control spread of
communicable diseases such as malaria, dengue, chikungunya and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town