BS Yeddyurappa formally launches Karnataka Janata Party
Haveri: Opening a new chapter in Karnataka politics, former Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa on Sunday formally launched Karnataka Janata Party (KJP) and took over as its President at a massive rally here in North Karnataka.
In a potential sign of trouble for the BJP government in the state, at least 10 ruling party MLAs attended the rally ignoring the party warnings to legislators and other leaders to keep away from it.
Prior to the launch, Yeddyurappa also hosted a breakfast meeting which was attended by at least 21 BJP MLAs, seven MLCs and four Lok Sabha MPs.
Ahead of the launch of KJP, Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar had yesterday cracked the whip sacking Cooperative Minister BJ Puttaswamy, a loyalist of Yeddyurappa, from the cabinet with BJP also suspending another staunch supporter and Tumkur MP GS Basavaraj from the party. Both were issued show cause notices.
Talking to reporters before the rally, Yeddyurappa dared the BJP leadership to dissolve the assembly and go before the people.
Yeddyurappa said BJP should understand that the Shettar government survived on the support of his loyalists.
"If they (BJP) want the continuance of this government, which is nothing but a KJP-BJP coalition, they should desist from taking any disciplinary action against my supporters," he said.
The action against Yeddyurappa`s supporters yesterday came a day after 23 legislators and seven ministers attended the breakfast meet hosted by him in Belgaum, in an expression of solidarity with the Lingayat strongman who quit the BJP on November 30, snapping his 40-year-association with the party.
Minister for Public Works CM Udasi, Minister for Power
Shobha Karandlaje and Minister for Water Resources Basavaraj Bommai, loyalists of Yeddyurappa, were seen seated among party workers.
In the event of BJP taking disciplinary action against MLAs, the five-month-old Shettar ministry will face serious threat to its survival with assembly polls due in May next.
In the 224-member assembly, BJP has a strength of 118 and it requires 113 for a simple majority.
Congress has 71 members and JDS 26. There are seven independents and two vacancies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands