BSY installs loyalist Kumar as KJP prez
Bangalore: Seeking to give momentum to his stated objective to float a regional party, former Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa on Friday installed his loyalist V Dhananjaya Kumar as president of Karnataka Janatha Paksha (KJP) as he prepared to officially quit the BJP next month.
Kumar, who served as Minister of State for Finance and Textiles in the NDA government headed by Atal Bihari Vajpayee, was expelled from BJP recently after he launched a broad-side against Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar.
KJP sources said he would serve as interim president and Yeddyurappa would take over the party leadership after KJP is formally launched at a rally at Haveri, some 350 km from here on December 9, with the former Chief Minister snapping ties with the BJP by then.
He said KJP is a registered state political party. It came into being only last year and has not contested elections so far. Its President Prasanna Kumar resigned from the post today, paving the way for Kumar to take over.
"As Yeddyurappa has said he will snap ties with the BJP, we are fervently pleading with him to come and join the KJP and lead it and guide and bless us", Kumar told reporters. "We are confident that Yeddyurappa will soon join us and lead us".
He charged the national parties - Congress and BJP - with not responding properly to regional problems and gave the recent Cauvery river water sharing row as an example, alleging that the two outfits failed to "utter a single word" in support of Karnataka’s interests.
"Our strong belief is that we need a regional party", he said.
KJP also announced is office-bearers. M D Lakshminarayana and K H Srinivasa were appointed general secretary and senior vice-president, respectively.
Yeddyurappa has repeatedly said in the last few weeks that his decision to quit the BJP is final and the question of reviewing it does not arise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister