CAG raps Kumaraswamy, Yeddyurappa over land denotification
Belgaum: The Comptroller and Auditor General has rapped the BS Yedyyurappa and HD Kumaraswamy governments for "rampant" illegal denotification of land benefiting builders and companies during the 2007-11 period.
"During 2007-11, the government denotified 123 acres and 15.5 guntas (one gunta is about 1,086 sq.Ft.) after taking possession and another 89 acres and 23.5 guntas of land after notifying the fact of taking possession," the CAG report said.
The CAG indictment comes as an additional embarrassment to Yeddyurappa and Kumaraswamy who are facing several private complaints in courts for allegedly denotifying land illegally.
Yeddyurappa, who severed his 40-year old association with BJP and formally launched his own outfit- Karnataka Janatha Party -- recently, had to spend 24 days in judicial custody last year in a land denotification case before being released on bail.
In its report placed before the Assembly, holding its winter session here, today, the CAG said denotification of 212 acres and 39 guntas during 2007-11 was done in "defiance of law," adding these cases had not been referred to the Denotification Committee.
The performance audit conducted in February-July 2012 covered the 2007-12 period. Kumaraswamy was the Chief Minister from February 4, 2006 to October 9, 2007 at the head of the JDS-BJP coalition. Yeddyurappa, heading the first-ever BJP government in the South, held the CM`s post from May 30, 2008 to July 31 last year.
"These denotifications defied law and had been done after land had been duly taken possession of even while many cases challenging the acquisition process had been pending in the courts," the report said.
In seven such cases, the government irregularly denotified 16 acres and 15.2 guntas in four layouts between October 2007 and September 2010 after the land had been taken possession of and developed by Bangalore Development Authority.
"These denotifications had been done pursuant to the orders of the incumbent Chief Ministers (H D Kumaraswamy and B S Yeddyurappa) who disregarded denotification law," the CAG report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan