Cash for bail: Karnataka MLA sent to JC
Hyderabad: A local court on Tuesday remanded to 14-day judicial custody Karnataka BJP legislator T H Suresh Babu, an accused in the cash-for-bail scandal, involving mining baron Gali Janardhan Reddy.
Suresh Babu, an MLA from Kampli constituency in Bellary district of Karnataka, was picked up by Andhra Pradesh Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) here last evening, who was arrested this afternoon on the charge of playing an active role in the conspiracy of managing suspended CBI Judge (Pattabhirama Rao) for granting bail to Janardhan Reddy.
Suresh Babu, who was questioned intensively, was later produced before the First Additional ACB court this evening that remanded him to judicial custody till August 14. He was later shifted to Cherlapally jail.
The agency had earlier served notices on Suresh Babu along with Janardhan Reddy`s brother and Bellary city MLA Gali Somashekhar Reddy, asking them to appear before it in connection with the investigation.
Somashekhar, Suresh Babu and Janardhan Reddy`s relative Dasaratha Ram Reddy (who has already been arrested by ACB) have been accused of allegedly bribing the suspended judge T Pattabhirama Rao in granting bail to Janardhan Reddy.
The case was first cracked by CBI in May this year after Pattabhirama Rao, who was additional special judge for CBI court, granted bail to Janardhan Reddy while rejecting the bail plea of suspended IAS officer Y Srilakshmi in connection with OMC scam on May 11.
Amid allegations of illegal gratification and corruption against Pattabhirama Rao, the Andhra Pradesh High Court suspended him on May 31 while transferring the case to ACB.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections