Cash for bail: Karnataka MLA sent to JC
Hyderabad: A local court on Tuesday remanded to 14-day judicial custody Karnataka BJP legislator T H Suresh Babu, an accused in the cash-for-bail scandal, involving mining baron Gali Janardhan Reddy.
Suresh Babu, an MLA from Kampli constituency in Bellary district of Karnataka, was picked up by Andhra Pradesh Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) here last evening, who was arrested this afternoon on the charge of playing an active role in the conspiracy of managing suspended CBI Judge (Pattabhirama Rao) for granting bail to Janardhan Reddy.
Suresh Babu, who was questioned intensively, was later produced before the First Additional ACB court this evening that remanded him to judicial custody till August 14. He was later shifted to Cherlapally jail.
The agency had earlier served notices on Suresh Babu along with Janardhan Reddy`s brother and Bellary city MLA Gali Somashekhar Reddy, asking them to appear before it in connection with the investigation.
Somashekhar, Suresh Babu and Janardhan Reddy`s relative Dasaratha Ram Reddy (who has already been arrested by ACB) have been accused of allegedly bribing the suspended judge T Pattabhirama Rao in granting bail to Janardhan Reddy.
The case was first cracked by CBI in May this year after Pattabhirama Rao, who was additional special judge for CBI court, granted bail to Janardhan Reddy while rejecting the bail plea of suspended IAS officer Y Srilakshmi in connection with OMC scam on May 11.
Amid allegations of illegal gratification and corruption against Pattabhirama Rao, the Andhra Pradesh High Court suspended him on May 31 while transferring the case to ACB.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day