Cash for bail: Karnataka MLA sent to JC
Hyderabad: A local court on Tuesday remanded to 14-day judicial custody Karnataka BJP legislator T H Suresh Babu, an accused in the cash-for-bail scandal, involving mining baron Gali Janardhan Reddy.
Suresh Babu, an MLA from Kampli constituency in Bellary district of Karnataka, was picked up by Andhra Pradesh Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) here last evening, who was arrested this afternoon on the charge of playing an active role in the conspiracy of managing suspended CBI Judge (Pattabhirama Rao) for granting bail to Janardhan Reddy.
Suresh Babu, who was questioned intensively, was later produced before the First Additional ACB court this evening that remanded him to judicial custody till August 14. He was later shifted to Cherlapally jail.
The agency had earlier served notices on Suresh Babu along with Janardhan Reddy`s brother and Bellary city MLA Gali Somashekhar Reddy, asking them to appear before it in connection with the investigation.
Somashekhar, Suresh Babu and Janardhan Reddy`s relative Dasaratha Ram Reddy (who has already been arrested by ACB) have been accused of allegedly bribing the suspended judge T Pattabhirama Rao in granting bail to Janardhan Reddy.
The case was first cracked by CBI in May this year after Pattabhirama Rao, who was additional special judge for CBI court, granted bail to Janardhan Reddy while rejecting the bail plea of suspended IAS officer Y Srilakshmi in connection with OMC scam on May 11.
Amid allegations of illegal gratification and corruption against Pattabhirama Rao, the Andhra Pradesh High Court suspended him on May 31 while transferring the case to ACB.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok