Cash reward for info on ATM attacker raised to Rs 5 lakh
Bangalore: Clueless even almost a month after the brutal attack on a woman bank official at an unguarded ATM kiosk here, police on Monday increased from Rs 1 lakh to Rs 5 lakh cash reward for information leading to the arrest of the suspect.
Ever since the gory attack caught on CCTV footage sparked a nationwide outrage, police has formed different teams of 200 police officials to investigate the case and hunt the accused.
"Public cooperation is utmost important to nab the culprit who brutally assaulted a woman at a Corporation Bank ATM kiosk," Bangalore Police Commissioner Raghavendra Auradkar said in a release.
According to information available, the suspect is said to have committed a similar crime in Anantapur district of Andhra Pradesh. Senior police officials are in touch with AP police regarding the investigation, the release said.
Other than the culprit`s photo, police has not been able to establish neither his earlier activities nor his name and address.
Pointing this out, police said it was serious about the case and "are putting in their best efforts".
They added that advertisements showing photograph and details of the suspect are being aired in Tamil, Telugu and Hindi TV channels and pamphlets being circulated in Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh.
In the brazen attack near a police station in the heart of the city, the woman was repeatedly hit with a machete by the assailant on November 19, leaving her in a pool of blood for nearly three hours before two school children saw blood stains and informed a policeman who rushed her to the hospital.
With the incident sparking nationwide outrage and concern over safety at ATMs, police had cracked the whip shutting down more than 1,000 unguarded ATM kiosks in the city, most of whom have however resumed after providing security.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok