Cauvery row: Farmers stage dharna before crucial CRA meet
Mysore/Mandya: Karnataka Rajya Raitha Sangha activists today staged a dharna in Mysore, demanding that the state present `ground realities` on water availability at the Cauvery Regulatory Authority meeting at Delhi on September 19.
Hundreds of farmers from Mysore, Chamarajanagar, Mandya and Hassan districts, falling under the Cauvery catchment area, participated in the dharna.
The farmers, led by KRRS President KS Puttannaiah,demanded that the state panel ask CRA to evolve a distress water sharing formula between Tanil Nadu and Karnataka, based on ground realities.
The agitators resolved to lay siege to all reservoirs if the State panel failed to impress upon the Prime Minister to refrain from ordering release of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu.
They also resolved to stage a Jail Bharo, Rasta Roko, Rail Roko agitations in the event of elected representatives failing to present a strong case in favour of Karnataka.
Cauvery Hitarakshana Samithi members also staged a dharna in Mandya, in which former Union minister Ambareesh took part.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal