Cauvery row: Farmers stage dharna before crucial CRA meet
Mysore/Mandya: Karnataka Rajya Raitha Sangha activists today staged a dharna in Mysore, demanding that the state present `ground realities` on water availability at the Cauvery Regulatory Authority meeting at Delhi on September 19.
Hundreds of farmers from Mysore, Chamarajanagar, Mandya and Hassan districts, falling under the Cauvery catchment area, participated in the dharna.
The farmers, led by KRRS President KS Puttannaiah,demanded that the state panel ask CRA to evolve a distress water sharing formula between Tanil Nadu and Karnataka, based on ground realities.
The agitators resolved to lay siege to all reservoirs if the State panel failed to impress upon the Prime Minister to refrain from ordering release of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu.
They also resolved to stage a Jail Bharo, Rasta Roko, Rail Roko agitations in the event of elected representatives failing to present a strong case in favour of Karnataka.
Cauvery Hitarakshana Samithi members also staged a dharna in Mandya, in which former Union minister Ambareesh took part.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Sterling, stocks skid as Brexit result agonisingly close
- REVEALED: Anil Kumble's first message to India captains Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Virat Kohli after appointment
- 'Mirzya' trailer alert! Harshvardhan Kapoor spells enchanting cast in a splendid tale by Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra
- RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat to share dais with Leonardo DiCaprio in UK: Reports
- Oops! Salman Khan mocks Hollywood return Priyanka Chopra and Deepika Padukone, but WHY?