Cauvery row: Farmers stage dharna before crucial CRA meet
Mysore/Mandya: Karnataka Rajya Raitha Sangha activists today staged a dharna in Mysore, demanding that the state present `ground realities` on water availability at the Cauvery Regulatory Authority meeting at Delhi on September 19.
Hundreds of farmers from Mysore, Chamarajanagar, Mandya and Hassan districts, falling under the Cauvery catchment area, participated in the dharna.
The farmers, led by KRRS President KS Puttannaiah,demanded that the state panel ask CRA to evolve a distress water sharing formula between Tanil Nadu and Karnataka, based on ground realities.
The agitators resolved to lay siege to all reservoirs if the State panel failed to impress upon the Prime Minister to refrain from ordering release of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu.
They also resolved to stage a Jail Bharo, Rasta Roko, Rail Roko agitations in the event of elected representatives failing to present a strong case in favour of Karnataka.
Cauvery Hitarakshana Samithi members also staged a dharna in Mandya, in which former Union minister Ambareesh took part.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged