Cauvery row: Karnataka leaders to meet PM on Feb 18
Bangalore: An all-party delegation from Karnataka would meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Monday to apprise him of the state`s position on the Cauvery issue.
The announcement to take a delegation of floor leaders of both Houses of the state legislature to New Delhi was made by Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar in the Assembly on Wednesday.
The BJP government has been facing fire from opposition Congress and JD-S for releasing Cauvery water in compliance with the February 7 order of the Supreme Court.
The Supreme Court had directed Karnataka to immediately release 2.44 TMC feet of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu whose plea for 12 TMC ft was refused.
A bench headed by Justice RM Lodha increased by 0.44 TMC the amount of water to be provided to Tamil Nadu on the recommendation of the Central Water Commission (CWC).
The bench also comprising justices J. Chelameswar and Madan B. Lokur directed Karnataka to release the water immediately.
The court passed the order after going through the report submitted by an expert committee of CWC which said that only 10% of cultivated land in Tamil Nadu needs water.
The committee said that 50% of the arable land has already been cultivated and 40% is on the verge of being cultivated and only the remaining 10% requires water.
“Having heard the parties and taking consideration of the expert committee report, we are satisfied that the interest of justice would be met if Karnataka is directed to release 2.44 TMC of water,” the bench said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy