Cauvery row: Karnataka to file review petition before SC
Bangalore: Karnataka on Friday decided to file a petition before the Supreme Court seeking a review of its order directing the state to release 2.44 tmc ft of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu, citing depleted water storage level.
A decision to this effect was taken at a meeting of floor leaders of both the Houses of the legislature convened by Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar to discuss the situation arising out of the apex court`s directive yesterday on water release.
State`s Water Resources Minister Basavaraj Bommai told reporters that the review petition was likely to be moved on February 11.
The meeting was attended by leader of opposition Congress in the assembly Siddaramaiah, his counterpart in Council S R Patil, JD-S leaders M C Nanaiah and H D Revanna.
The opposition asked the government to convince the court about the distress situation faced in the state including shortage of drinking water.
The court had directed Karnataka to release 2.44 TMC feet of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu while rejecting the latter`s plea 12 TMC ft to save standing crops in delta districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'El Chapo' appeals extradition to US
- Rahul to lead 'Mashal Juloos' in protest against power cuts, water crisis in Delhi
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1