Cauvery row: Protests continue in Karnataka
Mandya: As protests against Cauvery water release to Tamil Nadu continued in the district on Sunday, the local administration banned entry of tourists inside the Krishnaraja Sagar Reservoir (KRS) complex till February 13 as a precautionary measure.
Prohibitory orders which were in force in and around KRS from February 7 till this morning, had been extended by another three days, police sources told a news agency.
Security has been beefed up and nearly 300 police personnel were guarding the dam, a famous tourist attraction, police said.
Karnataka began releasing water from the KRS yesterday complying with the Supreme Court order directing it to supply 2.44 tmc ft to Tamil Nadu to save the standing `samba` paddy crop in the delta districts.
The district administration warned agitating farmers that if they defied prohibitary orders, appropriate action will be initiated against them in accordance with law.
President of Cauvery Protection Committee G Madegowda demanded the resignation of Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar for his `failure` to protect the interest of the state`s farmers.
The BJP Government has decided to file a petition in the apex court tomorrow seeking reivew of its order citing depleted storage in Karnataka reservoirs.
Speaking to reporters in Shimoga, the Chief Minister said, "We have strictly obeyed the order of Supreme Court regarding release of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu."
He said the state was filing a review petition before the apex court.
Also, the state was waiting for the Supreme Court order on its review petition, seeking postponement of local body elections in the state.
On the power situation, he said, things had not worsened and there was no need for purchasing power from outside the state.
Laying the foundation for works worth over Rs 300 crore in the district, Shettar said the power generating unit in Udupi was ready and would ease out the shortage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22