Cauvery row: Protests continue in Karnataka
Mandya: As protests against Cauvery water release to Tamil Nadu continued in the district on Sunday, the local administration banned entry of tourists inside the Krishnaraja Sagar Reservoir (KRS) complex till February 13 as a precautionary measure.
Prohibitory orders which were in force in and around KRS from February 7 till this morning, had been extended by another three days, police sources told a news agency.
Security has been beefed up and nearly 300 police personnel were guarding the dam, a famous tourist attraction, police said.
Karnataka began releasing water from the KRS yesterday complying with the Supreme Court order directing it to supply 2.44 tmc ft to Tamil Nadu to save the standing `samba` paddy crop in the delta districts.
The district administration warned agitating farmers that if they defied prohibitary orders, appropriate action will be initiated against them in accordance with law.
President of Cauvery Protection Committee G Madegowda demanded the resignation of Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar for his `failure` to protect the interest of the state`s farmers.
The BJP Government has decided to file a petition in the apex court tomorrow seeking reivew of its order citing depleted storage in Karnataka reservoirs.
Speaking to reporters in Shimoga, the Chief Minister said, "We have strictly obeyed the order of Supreme Court regarding release of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu."
He said the state was filing a review petition before the apex court.
Also, the state was waiting for the Supreme Court order on its review petition, seeking postponement of local body elections in the state.
On the power situation, he said, things had not worsened and there was no need for purchasing power from outside the state.
Laying the foundation for works worth over Rs 300 crore in the district, Shettar said the power generating unit in Udupi was ready and would ease out the shortage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley, Rajnath Singh to head all-party team on Sept 4
- ISS astronaut Jeff Williams shares captivating image of the USA's west coast! - See pic
- Govt panel for chilli-filled grenades, stun lac shells as alternatives to pellet guns
- iPhone 7? Apple Inc sends out invite for September 7 'special event'
- John Kerry's cavalcade got stuck in traffic jam caused by heavy rains in New Delhi