Cauvery row: Protests erupt, farmers urge not to release water
Mandya: Protests erupted in parts of the district as activists of `Cauvery Hitarakshana Samithi` and Kannada protagonist organisations protested the Supreme Court directive to Karnataka to release water to Tamil Nadu.
As the news of the apex court order spread, leaders spearheading the protest urged the government not to sacrifice the interest of people of Cauvery basin, particularly farmers.
Activists of farmers bodies came on to the streets and disrupted traffic in Mandya, Maddur and Srirangapatna towns, reports reaching here said.
The Cauvery Hitharakshana Samithi (Cauvery Protection Committee) President G Madegowda said farmers would lay siege to KRS reservoir and would not allow water release.
Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar, who is currently in Delhi, said "the government is committed to protecting the interest of people".
He said he would seek legal advice from senior counsel Fali S Nariman, who represents Karnataka in Cauvery river dispute and decide on future plans including seeking review of the Supreme Court order.
Karnataka has already filed a petition before the Cauvery River Authority seeking review of its order for releasing 9,000 cusecs to Tamil Nadu till October 20, which was upheld by the Supreme Court today.
State Water Resources Minister Basavaraj Bommai said the state would explore all legal avenues to protect the state`s interest.
Meanwhile, activists belonging to pro-Kannada outfit `Karnataka Rakshana Vedike` protested in front of Chief Minister`s official residence "Krishna" by shouting slogans against the apex court`s order.
Over 20 agitators were taken into preventive custody, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?