Cauvery row:Moily urges PM to review the CRA order
Bangalore: Union Power and Corporate Affairs M Veerappa Moily today urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to review Cauvery River Authority`s September 19 order directing Karnataka to release water to Tamil Nadu in view of the `disastrous situation` in the Cauvery basin in his state.
"This may be done either by the Cauvery Monitoring Committee or by convening a meeting of CRA, consisting of the Prime Minister and the Chief Ministers from Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Puducherry and Kerala," he said in a letter to Singh.
The former Karnataka Chief Minister said he had already apprised Singh of the situation at a meeting with him today.
Moily drew Singh`s attention to hardships of farmers in Cauvery basin in Karnataka following withering of crops due to withdrawal of South West Monsoon last month and a steep decline in inflows to Kabini and Krishna Raja Sagar dams.
"Depletion of water on the Karnataka side will further deteriorate the situation. It is but natural that farmers are very much agitated in view of the depleting water situation on account of the release", he said.
In contrast, he claimed the North-East monsoon has set in over Tamil Nadu, which would solely benefit that state. "It is a matter of fact that around 22,000 sq.Km is uncontrolled catchment area below Karnataka reservoirs and flows generated in the catchment area flow to Tamil Nadu and are measured at Central Water Commission gate station at Biligundlu."
He noted that Karnataka had already complied with the CRA`s decision to release 9,000 cusecs per day to Tamil Nadu.
Karnataka had stopped water release from KRS dam on the night of October 8, hours after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who heads CRA, made it clear only CRA can review its order directing the state to release 9,000 cusecs to Tamil Nadu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists