Cauvery water: Monitoring Committee to meet on Oct 11
New Delhi: Amid water-sharing dispute between the two southern states, the Cauvery Monitoring Committee will meet here on October 11 to decide on the issue of release of water from Karnataka to Tamil Nadu after October 15.
The Cauvery River Authority (CRA) had recently directed Karnataka to release 9000 cusecs of water to Tamil Nadu on a daily basis between September 20 and October 15.
The Monitoring Committee will decide on the quantity of water to be released by Karnataka after October 15.
A central team is already visiting the two states to see water level in reservoirs, the condition of standing crops and water flow.
The visit will help the Cauvery Monitoring Committee to take a call on the issue of further release of water.
The CRA chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had directed Karnataka to release 9000 cusecs of water to Tamil Nadu between September 20 and October 15. The CRA had authorised the Water Resources Secretary to decide on the amount of flow of water after October 15.
Tamil Nadu had demanded release of 24,000 cusecs of water, while the Supreme Court had asked Karnataka to release 10,000 cusecs. The CRA, after hearing the views of both the states, awarded release of 9,000 cusecs.
CMC comprises officials of Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Kerala and Puducherry, besides central representatives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part IV
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part II
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen