Cauvery water: Monitoring Committee to meet on Oct 11
New Delhi: Amid water-sharing dispute between the two southern states, the Cauvery Monitoring Committee will meet here on October 11 to decide on the issue of release of water from Karnataka to Tamil Nadu after October 15.
The Cauvery River Authority (CRA) had recently directed Karnataka to release 9000 cusecs of water to Tamil Nadu on a daily basis between September 20 and October 15.
The Monitoring Committee will decide on the quantity of water to be released by Karnataka after October 15.
A central team is already visiting the two states to see water level in reservoirs, the condition of standing crops and water flow.
The visit will help the Cauvery Monitoring Committee to take a call on the issue of further release of water.
The CRA chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had directed Karnataka to release 9000 cusecs of water to Tamil Nadu between September 20 and October 15. The CRA had authorised the Water Resources Secretary to decide on the amount of flow of water after October 15.
Tamil Nadu had demanded release of 24,000 cusecs of water, while the Supreme Court had asked Karnataka to release 10,000 cusecs. The CRA, after hearing the views of both the states, awarded release of 9,000 cusecs.
CMC comprises officials of Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Kerala and Puducherry, besides central representatives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam