CBI, ED, SIT to probe illegal mining scam in Karnataka: Govt
Bangalore: Congress government in Karnataka on Thursday decided to hand over probe into the mega mining scam in the state to a special investigation team, CBI and Enforcement Directorate and also establish a special court to try such cases.
The Cabinet, chaired by Chief Minister Siddaramaiah, gave the green signal for investigation by CBI into illegal export of iron ore from seven ports in Karnataka and neighbouring states.
Noting that the reports on illegal mining by the then Lokayukta Justice (Retd) N Santosh Hegde had raised many issues pertaining to the scam, Law Minister T B Jayachandra said in a media briefing that an SIT would be constituted.
The issues to be probed include evasion of royalty to the Government and forest development tax.
To investigate cases relating to investment made from the wealth of illegal mining, he said the Cabinet decided to hand over such cases to the ED and facilitation of invoking of the stringent Prevention of Money Laundering Act, a central legislation.
Jayachandra also said a special court would be established to try cases on illegal mining.
Hegde`s final report submitted in July 2011 estimated the loss of revenue to the State exchequer due to illegal mining in the State between 2006 and 2010 at more than Rs 16,000 crore. The report had also named 797 officials.
Following his indictment in the report, the then Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa had to quit complying with the direction of the BJP`s central leadership.
The Congress had launched a vigorous campaign against illegal mining when it was in opposition during the previous BJP rule, and promised to crack down on the lobby and recovering the lost money.
"It`s the bold decision of the Government.... (Cabinet decision on the probe)", Jayachandra said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark