CBI raids mining firms for 2nd day in Bellary
Bellary, Karnataka: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) continued raids on mining firms said to be associated with arrested former Karnataka minister G Janardhana Reddy here for the second day Tuesday.
"The raids are on at several mining companies in Bellary town, Hospet and Torangal in the district," a CBI spokesperson said.
Bellary, about 300 km from Bangalore, is the political base of Janardhana Reddy and his two brothers, G Karunakara, also a former minister, and G Somashekara. All three are ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislators.
Among the firms being searched are B Nagappa Mines in Bellary, residence of its owner Shantalakshmi Jayaram and a transport firm, CBI sources said.
A CBI team was at Jindal Steel Works (JSW) for the second day, inspecting its account books and documents, the sources said.
JSW had Monday denied its offices were raided by the CBI. "Only information was sought and that has been provided," the company said.
The CBI raids follow a Supreme Court directive to probe the Reddy`s illegal mining activities.
On Monday, the CBI registered its first case against Janardhana Reddy in Karnataka. It has also filed a case against Deccan Mining Syndicate owned by Rajendra Jain.
Reddy was arrested Sep 5 along with the managing director of his Obulapuram Mining Company, BV Srinivas Reddy, for illegal mining in Andhra Pradesh.
Both are now lodged in Hyderabad`s Chanchalaguda jail.
The CBI Monday raided Associated Mining Company, also owned by Reddy, and Deccan Mining Syndicate offices in Bellary and seized documents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read